Sunday 4 December 2016

Craft reveal: knitted boys vintage tank top

So, I think I started this tank top in August. I hadn't knitted an actual garment before, hats, shawls etc but not an actual shaped thing that a person could wear.


I decided on a tank top because a skilled knitter friend of mine said it was a good thing to try as a first garment. I also decided that a childs size tank top would be a perfect practice run for the tank top pattern I have for the Mr.


I seem to knit far more vintage things than modern... although it's not like I have a million previous knitwear projects behind me. I'm still very much in the starter category, but I really do like recreating some of those vintage looks with my knitting (I also like to stand in charity shops and laugh at the awful photographs on the front of some of them, but that's a whole other story).


I usually like to knit in pure wool or luxury yarns, but those aren't so practical for a toddler to wear so my friend, his mummy, chose this perfect 50% merino mix in a lovely airforce blue. The result was a lovely soft knit.


I like to try one or two new techniques in each of my knitting projects and this one allowed me to do shaping, knitting on double pointed needles and ribbed cast off, something else I will be taking into my next project. I'm getting to the stage now where I can look at knitting patterns and actually think, I can possibly knit this, instead of, however will I ever even get through this knit?

I'm really pleased with it and more importantly so is my friend and her little boy. The next project will be another vintage knit, this time for me. I can't believe the progress I've made in little more than a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular posts