Sunday 23 October 2016

Starting the Holistic Journey

Life is a funny thing. It seems to be a journey where you lose yourself to later rediscover yourself, having grown and developed a new true and authentic self along the way. No denying, we are all influenced by our surroundings, the messages we receive as we are bombarded by media day in day out, and the people who we allow to be in our lives. It's easy to get caught up in all of these messages and influences.

Recently, I’ve been paying more attention to some of the holistic lifestyle interests that I had a good many years ago, some even before I was married, which have over the years become diluted, or lost in the maelstrom of everyday existence. I feel like I’m learning again, finding my way around the knowledge I once had but that which has become stale and stagnant from a lack of attention.

I used to be passionate about Aromatherapy, and even took an introductory Aromatherapy and Massage course about 10 years ago. I still have the original book that I bought for that study, which has proved invaluable over the years, but last week I made a concerted effort to revisit my favourite website for buying essential oils, and to stock up, not just on the basics that I believe are core to any aromatherapists’ first aid kit, but a few extras to treat some specific conditions too. It felt so good to receive the package filled with glass bottles full of fragrant wonder, and to start blending again, adding different oils to my daily skincare routine too, treating both my skin and my mind.


In the interests of continuously growing and learning, I also enrolled onto a distance learning course in a subject that I have always had more than a passing interest in, crystal healing. I’ve had more than one person raise an eyebrow when I’ve told them I’m doing this, but I don't care what the thoughts of others are, this is about me and about what I want to do. I have long held the belief that the energies contained within crystals can be used for our own health and wellbeing, and it’s fascinating learning about the chakras, colour association, crystal vibrations and so on.


More books that I’ve unearthed from my dusty shelves have been my herbal books, and I’m putting together a shopping list of some basic herbs that I want to start using. I think if I had my time again, I probably would have trained as a herbalist. I find it fascinating and I do believe that nature provides us with many of the materials to heal our bodies and minds, if only we are open to looking.


There are areas that I’m still working on too, these interests will always be a growth experience, and I look to develop in other areas too. I still dabble with yoga, I’d like this to develop to more than dabbling, and meditation is something I have an interest in too. I find podcasts to be a wealth of
useful thought and my particular current favourite is The Awakened Goddess Show with Angela Wilkinson, which is strong on empowering women in all areas of their life. It was after listening to a recent episode of this that I became aware of how out of touch with our own nature women have
become. This has subsequently led to a few books appearing on my Amazon wishlist that I’m really looking forward to finding the time to read.

It sounds like a lot doesn’t it? The whole point with taking a more holistic approach to life, however, is to use as many of the tools available to us as possible and treating the whole mind, body and spirit, not just one malaise. Despite having all of these interests before, I still feel like I’m taking the first steps on a new journey. I’m sure that I will pick some interests up and drop others, but I have this desperate need to reconnect with my interests, and with the world around me.

I feel better for taking the decision and starting the journey, already.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular posts